Microsoft has set a date for the freeing of Zune: November 14.
A whole ecosystem of accessories will be released as well.
From the Microsoft PressPass:
REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 28, 2006 — Microsoft Corp. is putting the social into digital music, starting this holiday. Today the company announced that the Zune™ digital media player and online service will be available to consumers in the U.S. on Nov. 14, 2006, just in time for the holidays. The Zune device will retail for $249.99 U.S. (ERP) and will create new ways for entertainment fans to connect and share media experiences device-to-device through the use of wireless technology and new software scenarios.
For $249.99, consumers will get an incredible entertainment experience right out of the box:
• 30GB digital media player will come equipped with wireless functionality for Zune-to-Zune sharing of music, pictures and home recordings; a bright, three-inch LCD video screen that works in portrait or landscape mode to view pictures and videos; and a built-in FM tuner. The device will be available in three colors: black, brown and white.
• A selection of preloaded content including songs, music videos and film shorts are installed on the device’s hard drive to help consumers discover new artists and entertainment.
Zune makes it easy to find music you love — whether it’s songs in your existing library or new music from the Zune Marketplace:
• Its dynamic music service will be continually updated with new content and experiences so there is always something to discover. The Zune Marketplace lets users browse and purchase songs individually.
• A Zune Pass subscription gives consumers access to millions of songs for $14.99 per month.
• Users can purchase songs individually using Microsoft® Points for 79 points per track. Similar to a pre-paid phone card, Microsoft Points is a stored value system that can be redeemed at a growing number of online stores, including the Xbox Live® Marketplace.
Zune is a vehicle to explore new sounds and experiences. With that in mind, Microsoft pre-loaded each Zune device with a variety of songs and music videos from hot, new artists as well as some fun films and images. With something for everyone, the pre-loaded Zune content may just help you discover your new favorite band. Zune preloaded content includes the following:
Audio Tracks: ...nothing I like...
Music Video: ...crap...
Film Shorts:...no, thank you...
Images: ...maybe...• A variety of images to personalize a Zune device, including 12 classic rock posters from “Art of Modern Rock”
For entertainment fans who want to experience their media from anywhere, Microsoft will offer the following accessories:
- Zune Home A/V Pack. The Home A/V Pack includes everything you need to amplify your Zune experience. This set of five products integrates Zune with your big-screen TV and the best speakers in your house. The wireless remote puts you in control from virtually anywhere in the room. When you buy the Zune Home AV Pack, you’ll get the AV Output Cable, Zune Dock, Zune Wireless Remote with Lithium Battery, Zune Sync Cable and Zune AC Adapter for $99.99.
- Zune Travel Pack. The Travel Pack includes everything you need to travel with your Zune device in style. This set of five products is designed to keep you and your friends and family entertained while you travel. When you buy the Zune Travel Pack, you’ll get the Zune Dual Connect Remote, Zune Premium Earphones, Zune Gear Bag, Zune Sync Cable and Zune AC Adapter for $99.99.
- Zune Car Pack. The Car Pack includes everything you need to hit the road with your Zune device. With AutoSeek, setup is easy, and you can enjoy your music on the go and charge at the same time. When you buy the Zune Car Pack, you’ll get the FM tuner with AutoSeek and the Zune Car Charger for $79.99.
- Zune AV Output Cable. ..$19.99.
- Zune AC Adapter. ...$29.99.
- Zune Sync Cable. ...$19.99.
- Zune Car Charger. ...$24.99.
- Zune Dock....$39.99.
- Zune Wireless Remote for Zune Dock. ...$29.99.
- Zune Dual Connect Remote....$29.99.
- Zune FM tuner With AutoSeek. ...$69.99.
- Zune Gear Bag....$29.99.
- Zune Premium Earphones...$39.99.